1. Humans need animal products for survival. You will die earlier. There are things in meat, which your body needs and you cannot get from any other kind of food.
2. We’re cutting down all the rainforests to grow soybeans; we wouldn’t have enough land to grow soybeans if everyone went vegan because deforestation in the developing world to grow cheap soy for human and animal feed is a major issue in climate change.
3. “Oh but I love my meat” –or- “I can’t give up my meat/cheese”.
4. The Bible and God say that animals are here for humans to use. Humans have dominion over other animals.
5. Fish don’t feel pain and are not sentient. Do you eat fish?
6. I’m vegan at home or with other vegans, but it’s rude or impolite to inconvenience others or make a fuss when dining out with non-vegans.
7. It is clear that humans are predators just like many other animals. We are no different to other animals; lions eat zebras. I didn’t climb to the top of the food chain to eat plants!
8. I wouldn’t be vegan because of DHA, vegans can’t naturally get long-chain fatty acids.
9. You must be anemic.
10. People have been eating meat since millions of years ago, so it must be the right thing.
11. What kind of religion or sect is this?
12. Hitler was a vegetarian…
13. There would be shortages of food.
14. If God didn’t want us to eat animals, why did He make them out of delicious meat?
15. You would eat meat if you were stranded on a desert island, wouldn’t you?
What about indigenous people or Inuits?
16. Why do you care more about animals than human beings?
17. You vegans are so preachy!
18. Humans have canine teeth; teeth for ripping flesh apart.
19. If we don’t eat them, they’ll eat us.
20. They wouldn’t exist if we weren’t meant to eat them.
21. If eating a plant-based diet is our natural diet, why can’t you get all the nutrients without supplementing, as in Vitamin B12?
22. I buy organic so the animals are more humanely raised. They had a good life. Small farms are good for the environment. I support cage-free, humanely raised, but I don’t support cruelty to animals.
23. Some animals are meant to be food; there is a difference between pets and food animals.
24. It’s too difficult to do and too expensive. I’m too old for that.
25. Farmers love their animals and treat them well, generally.
26. It’s not illegal to eat animals and their products.
27. I live a very active lifestyle and need lots of protein.
28. Poor people raise animals or fish (for free) and can’t afford to be vegan.
29. I travel too much; too inconvenient to be vegan.
30. If we didn’t eat them, what would happen to all the animals.
31. Animals are lesser creatures than humans and we control them.
32. It doesn’t bother me when I see animals being slaughtered, or I don’t look; I don’t want to know.
33. Milk, eggs and cheese do not kill the animal.
34. Eating animal products is mainstream – everyone does it. It’s traditional.
35. Vegans are unhealthy.
36. C’mon, I’m kind and gentle and I love a good steak or fish.
37. But the animals wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for us!
38. But wouldn’t the economic consequences be disastrous for the farmers of animals?
39. Humans are at the top of the food chain!
40. I can’t go vegan, I don’t like to eat vegetables. I don’t want to eat tofu and grass, or I don’t like vegan food.
41. Animals have no soul, they don’t feel pain.
42. Our species evolved by eating meat - our brain size was not possible without it.
43. North American Indigenous people ate meat and they respected the animals.
44. It’s okay if it’s organic and grass-fed and humanely slaughtered.
45. Plants have feelings too.
46. Rights apply only to humans not to animals, humans are superior.
47. Vegans are just being self-righteous.
48. What we eat is a personal choice.
49. It’s my culture, it’s my religion to eat animals.
50. I only buy meat where I know the animal had a good life and was humanely killed.
51. Nothing is going to change, so there’s no point in going vegan.
52. It’s the end of the world; we should enjoy the food as much as we can.
53. If we didn’t eat meat the cows would die. No one would be farming them.
54. Vegans don’t care about animal suffering. They only care about their agenda. They want to see all small family farmers go out of business so all that’s left is factory farms and it will be easier to convince people to go vegan.
55. If we don’t drink milk the cows would die from not being milked. We’re helping them.
56. What do you eat?
57. You should be out helping people, not animals.
58. Small animals die when grains are harvested, so you don’t care about small animals?
59. Jesus ate fish. The Torah or the Bible says that animals were put here for human use.
60. “But I didn’t kill other animals, they were already dead.”
61. “I don’t care about animals” or “I don’t have compassion for animals that are used for food, clothing, entertainment, experimentation”.
Find out what the answers are!